Wednesday, April 30, 2008

first laptop


so, a few nights ago, 4/28/08, specifically, I played my first ever laptop show, as the first of three very different sets at a Bowerbird show at the Gallery at the Gershman YMCA in Philadelphia. I'd originally been gearing up for a piano set, but it turned out the piano wasn't obtainable, so I got a chance to finally get a solo set together. So, I gathered some acoustic guitar junk samples and rock some Zebra synth over it, and voila. In retro I wish I'd set the master volume a touch louder, but it was a smallish room and the main set, which turned out to be the fantastic trio of Nate Wooley/Sean Meehan/Carl Ludwig Huebsch, I figured [correctly] was going to be super minimal and quiet, so i initially erred on the slightly lower side of volume. Also playing was an extremely cool duo of Tim Albro and Dan Cappechi, very unique and inspring, nice melodic guitar shards with Oxley-inspired percussion.

all in all, a great night, a great communal feel, at least for me. thanks to Dustin Hurt for having me on the show, and to Ian Fraser for taking the above picture and sending it to me. BTW, missing from the picture, above my head and to the left, was a big sign reading 'AIDS'. As you might surmise from the ones you can make out in the above photo, the gallery at the time was filled with photos of AIDS orphans, children with AIDS and rehabilitated child soldiers, all from Africa [like a dipshit, I don't remember exactly where]. Very depressing and perspective inducing.

I'm lucky as shit, ultimately.

2 comments:

Matt said...

btw, forgot to say that comments are enabled, so leave comments if you like!

Andrew said...

so how's life now that you quit blogging?